Genesis 37:23-24 / Psalms 40:1-2
- Most of us have been around long enough to realize this isn’t a perfect church – full of imperfect people. Wow! A Revelation
- Most of us feel comfortable generalizing our imperfection and faults.
- Its easy to say, “yeah, we all have hurts, bang ups and habits.” And its easy to say, “yeah, God can heal…habits”
It’s not easy to be honest with ourselves until we hit rock bottom, but the truth is, that, the truth hurts.
- That we’d rather not admit anything
- That we’d rather not recognize our need for God
“I got myself into this, I’ll get myself out.”
“You made your bed, now you sleep in it.”
I’m not really one to play the blame game – and yes, the Bible does say that we’re each responsible for own actions…but I’m learning more and more that there’s no such thing as a self made man – when it comes to success…and failure.
- Osiris – raised by mom and streets (never taken to church) at eight yrs., his dad offered him booze and urinated on him for a “lesson”
- Mom and dad’s working – not @ home – latch-key kids learn from TV / internet
- AA leaders (med. Doctors): Burns Brady’s grandson(s) = hopeless outlook
- You have 3 enemies hard at work…world (culture), flesh (cravings), and the devil (principalities and powers, spiritual workness.
Why some will never see victory:
- 1. Pride – they are trying to “play God” (doing what’s right in my own eyes)
- Denial – Stuffing it, ignoring it, pretending it didn’t happen, minimizing it…
- Disables your feeling – emotional capacity (Eph. 4:17-19
- Snowball into emptiness – added anxiety – no solution – pit gets deeper
- Isalates us from God and others – Genesis 3:11-12
- Lengthens the pain and extends the hurt – fooled to think you’re getting by
* Wounds need treatment
- Admit your lack of control Romans 7:18
- Powerless over our tendencies
- Circumstances are unmanageable Psalms 6:2-4
- David – a prayer during sickness
- “God is in control” vs “Its okay” – His need for healing
2. Be willing to lay aside hindrances Hebrews 12:1-2
- Worry and “stress”
- Bitterness and resentment
- Choice of lonliness
Baggage: Phil. 3:13-14
3. Listen to the voice of truth John 8:32
- Preacher said, “Listen to those little voices in your head…” No – just one voice…the one who’s been cheering for you and encouraging you and loving you…the one who gave everything for you!
“Alright, so I’ve listened to this who thing…so what if I through with it, what then?
- His grace is made available (James 4:6)
- His grace is (will be) enough (Hebrews 4:14-16)
- Jude 24-25 – He is able and makes us able (Phil. 4:13)
Leave a Reply